Prayers: Matt. 6:9 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“ ‘Our Father in Heaven,
Hallowed be Your name…
When we pray, we are asking for God’s name to be glorified – not ours. Hallowed means ‘make holy’ or treat as holy. We live in a country where the name of God is as likely to be used as a swearword as it is as a prayer word. May this crisis result in people truly calling upon the Name of the Lord. Sometimes we rush into prayer thinking that God is just some kind of spiritual slot machine – where we put in our prayer and out comes what we want. But real prayer is not that. Real Christians pray as Jesus did – Father, glorify Your name.
Petition: Please also join with us in praying for:
- Italy – There are now 70,000 confirmed cases and almost 7,000 deaths – although the past 24 hours have seen a drop in the increase rate of cases. One in then of the cases are health staff. The whole country is in lockdown. Pray for a swift end.
- New South Wales – Accounts for almost half of the cases in Australia – with the figure nearing 1,000. Eight people have died in NSW. Pray that the spread would be halted.
- Those in the ‘gig economy’ – those who don’t have job security and many of whom now have no source of income.
- For Christian and other charitable organisations who may find themselves in a position of laying off staff, due to lack of income. May the Lord richly provide for them.
- That each of us may personally know the health, blessing, protection and presence of the Lord.
A Prayer of Repentance: O Lord, we confess our greed and materialism. We think we are rich and have need of nothing. Or we strive to be rich so that we can be independent. But help us to see that all good gifts come from You – that You give us all things richly to enjoy. O Lord, we confess that we think we have earned these ‘gifts’ and deserve to keep them. Help us to see beyond our own greed and selfishness, and to be good stewards of what You have given.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving: We praise You O Lord, that in the midst of darkness and despair, You have given us Good News that is for all the world. We bless You that no matter the darkness around and within, the Good News does not change and the Light shines ever brighter. Help us to share that News. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Daily devotions by David Robertson via Christians United — COVID19 Call to Prayer.
[Photo by John-Mark Smith