1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.
7 The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
~ Psalm 19:1
God speaks to us in His creation. Perhaps at this time more of us are able to appreciate the ‘heavens declaring the glory of God’. They tell us of God’s glory and power and eternity. But they don’t tell us of His holiness or His Christ – for that we need the word He has given to us in the Scriptures.
“Prayer is not a work that can be allocated to one or another group in the church.
It is everyone’s responsibility; it is everyone’s privilege.”
~ A.W Tozer
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Belgium – The number of confirmed cases is 56,810, with 9,237 having passed away of those with Covid-19. Belgium appears to have the highest death rate, but it is really an example of how we really don’t know the real numbers and will have to wait to know the truth – because Belgium uses a different method of counting.
- Queensland – now has had 1,058 cases (up 4 from a week ago), with 6 deaths (up 0).
The Premier is under considerable pressure from the tourist industry (which fears thousands more job losses) to open up interstate borders. In Australia there have been 7,106 cases (up 13). There have been 102 deaths (up 1). 6,494 people have recovered (up 15). 35 are in hospital (5 in ICU). 1,192,262 people have been tested, with 0.6% being positive.
- Let’s remember other situations in the world. Today we pray for the people of Hong Kong as China takes the opportunity given by Covid distracting the rest of the world’s attention, to change the ‘two systems, one nation’ policy and crack down on democracy.
- The US has signed a billion dollar deal for the first 300 million doses of a vaccine being developed by Astra-Zeneca – if the vaccine works. They hope to have the first batch by October.
- Some people have found this ‘lockdown’ situation unhealthy – they are putting on weight and lacking exercise. Pray for physical and mental well-being.
A Prayer of Repentance:
Lord, we confess that too often we look into ourselves
rather than looking out to Your world, or into Your Word.
Give us eyes to see, hearts to love,
minds to understand and wills to obey.
In Christ’s name, Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
Almighty God – we see Your glory in the heavens,
and yet these are but the outer fringe of Your power.
What beauty! What power! What awesomeness.
We thank You that You have revealed Yourself to us in Your creation,
in Your word and above all in our blessed Lord Jesus –
Your exact image and representation. Enable us to know Him better. Amen.
Daily devotions by David Robertson via Christians United — COVID19 Call to Prayer.
[Photo by frank mckenna