Yet for Your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.
Awake, Lord! Why do You sleep?
Rouse Yourself! Do not reject us forever.
Why do You hide Your face and forget our misery and oppression?
We are brought down to the dust; our bodies cling to the ground.
Rise up and help us; rescue us because of Your unfailing love.
~ Psalm 44:22-26
Sometimes it feels as though God has forgotten us. Yet He cannot forget His own people.
When we have such feelings, we need to call to mind His unfailing love.
“We are weak, but we are Christs; we are deformed; but yet carry His image upon us.”
~ Richard Sibbes
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
1. Romania – The number of confirmed cases is 22,760, with 1,451 deaths of those with Covid-19.
Romania acted quickly to respond to Covid entering the country in Feb. Things seem stable.
2. Victoria – now has had 1,762 cases (up 75 from a week ago), with 19 deaths (up 0). Victoria is the one state left in Australia that has a small number of community transmissions. They had 21 new cases yesterday – of which 15 were from overseas.
In Australia there have been 7,370 cases (up 23). There have been 102 deaths (up 0).
6,870 people have recovered (up 14). 16 are in hospital (3 in ICU).
1,876,117 have been tested, with 0.4% being positive.
3. A journalist from South America tells me that the situation there is far more serious than the grim statistics and is not being reported on because journalists are staying home. Brazil is heading towards 1 million cases. Chile has run out of coffins.
4. Scientists at Imperial College London will start the first clinical trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine this week with more than £45 million ($A81.9 million) in backing from the British government and philanthropic donors.
5. For Churches and Christians in the indigenous communities in Australia.
May the Lord grant strength and grace at this time of crisis.
A Prayer of Repentance:
Lord, forgive us when we are so absorbed with ourselves
that we are overwhelmed by our own thoughts and feelings.
Help us to look beyond them to You. Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
Our Father, we bless You that whatever our feelings of forsakenness, we are never forsaken.
We bless You that however weak our love for You, Your love for us is unfailing.
We bless You that You will never leave us or forsake us. Amen.
Daily devotions by David Robertson via Christians United — COVID19 Call to Prayer.
[Photo by Nicolas Moscarda