Prayers from Psalms
3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which You have set in place,
4 what is mankind that You are mindful of them,
human beings that You care for them?
5 You have made them a little lower than the angels
and crowned them with glory and honor.
~ Ps 8:3-5
‘What are you?’ my atheist friend asked – ‘just a speck of dust on a tiny planet in a vast universe!’
‘In your narrow world view,’ came the reply, ‘that’s true. But the real truth is that I am fearfully and wonderfully made; I (like all other human beings) am created in the image of God, and I am crowned with glory and honour.’
The fact is, the Christian has a far greater and more glorious view of humanity than any secular humanist. Let’s pray as those who are the ‘work of God’s fingers’.
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Brazil – The number of confirmed cases is 177,02, with 12,404 deaths of those with Covid-19.
Brazil is becoming the centre of coronavirus in South America.
The hospital system is under great pressure and apparently the peak has not arrived yet.
- New South Wales – now has had 3053 cases (up 20 from a week ago), with 44 deaths (up 2).
Yesterday was the first day since this crisis began that NSW has no new cases.
In Australia there have been 6,964 cases (up 18 yesterday – 17 in Victoria and 1 in WA).
There have been 97 deaths (up 0). 6,229 people have recovered (up 40). 47 are in hospital (16 in ICU). 877,927 people have been tested, with 0.8% being positive.
- Leaders of international bodies – including charities and political groups.
- The hunt for a vaccine goes on. President Trump says America will have one by the end of the year. Boris Johnson warns that we may never have one – bear in mind that 40 years after we were promised an AIDS vaccine, it has still not been found.
- Those who are feeling weak, vulnerable and scared. May we look beyond ourselves and our circumstances to Christ.
A Prayer of Repentance:
Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love;
according to Your great compassion blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
O Lord, we beseech You mercifully to hear us;
and grant that we, to whom You have given a hearty desire to pray,
may by Your mighty aid be defended and comforted in all dangers and adversities:
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
(Book of Common Prayer)