Prayers: Matt. 6:9
“This, then, is how you should pray:
‘Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name,
Your Kingdom Come, Your Will be Done,
On earth as it is in Heaven. Give us today our daily bread
And forgive us our debts…’
What debts do we have? Clearly this is not talking about financial debts – but rather the debt we owe to God. We owe Him obedience, worship, love. We owe Him the debt of caring for His world. As a result we are deeply in debt. We owe God – big time! Far more than we could ever pay back. Which is why Christ came – to pay the debt we owe. It is an extraordinary and wonderful picture. Forgiveness is our greatest need. Forgiveness is freely given in Christ.
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- South Korea – has had 9,583 cases with 158 people dying with Covid 19. Over 5,000 have recovered. South Korea is seen as an example of good management of the virus – they peaked early in March and since then have seen numbers drop through a policy of extensive testing and isolation without locking down. They have done the most testing in the world.
- Western Australia – Has seen 311 cases with two deaths. Its borders are closed.
- For Anthony Albanese – the leader of the Labour party – as he also seeks to offer co-operation and support in this time of national crisis.
- For those in our churches who are faced with redundancy and unemployment. That we would care for and provide for each other.
- For grandparents who feel isolated from their children and grandchildren.
A Prayer of Repentance:
Almighty and everlasting God, who hates nothing that You have made,
and forgives the sins of all those who are penitent;
Create and make us new and contrite hearts,
that we worthily lamenting our sins,
and acknowledging our wretchedness,
may obtain of You, the God of all mercy,
perfect remission and forgiveness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
(Taken from the Book of Common Prayer)
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
Lord Jesus – You paid a debt You did not owe.
In full. You have paid it all.
We owe everything to You.
We can never pay You back and You don’t ask us to.
Please grant that we would be like the one thankful healed leper,
rather than the unthankful nine.
We are forgiven. Hallelujah! Amen.
Daily devotions by David Robertson via Christians United — COVID19 Call to Prayer.[Photo by Diana Simumpande on Unsplash]