Prayers from Philippians
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ,
if any comfort from His love, if any common sharing in the Spirit,
if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded,
having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4
not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
~ Phil. 2:1-4
Prayer is not just individual. It is also corporate. We pray together. We pray for one another. We pray in unity. We are one in spirit and mind. That means that we do not pray out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. It means we are not proud, and we do not like the Pharisee in the temple thank the Lord that we are not like others. It also means that our prayers are as much focused on the needs of others as they are on ourselves.
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Japan – The number of confirmed cases is 10,296, with 222 deaths of those with Covid-19.
The big problem in Japan is that the growing number of cases is threatening to overwhelm hospitals – who are not prepared for this kind of pandemic.
- The Northern Territory – now has 28 cases (up 1 from a week ago) with 0 deaths.
Australia as a whole has gone up to 6,586 (up 53 in a day). There have been 69 deaths.
4,163 people have recovered (up 344). There are now only 55 people in the ICU (down 5).
- Café workers and those in the restaurant industry – many of whom have lost their jobs, and others having to adapt to a takeaway environment.
- Those who have heard the Word about Jesus online today – that believers would be challenged and encouraged – and non-believers be drawn to Christ.
- For those of us who struggle with feelings of loneliness and lack of self-worth – may we remember what a friend we have in Jesus.
A Prayer of Repentance: Lord Jesus, we confess our lack of unity. We confess that we so often think of ourselves as better than others, and have more of the spirit of the Pharisee than Your Spirit.
Teach us to look to the interests of others, for Your Glory. Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving: Father God, we thank You that we belong to the biggest family on earth. We bless you that though we often squabble and are at times divided, yet we are one body in Christ. We bless you for the Church – and its multiple branches and members. Enable us to remain faithful to You, and to serve one another in the love of Christ, Amen.