1 To You, LORD, I call; You are my Rock, do not turn a deaf ear to me.
For if You remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit.
2 Hear my cry for mercy as I call to You for help,
as I lift up my hands toward Your Most Holy Place.
~ Psalm 28
Prayer is also pleading. It’s a cry from our heart. It’s not a formula. It’s not a religious ritual by rote. It’s a child crying to their father, ‘Dad, help!’
“Come, Lord, and work on us. Arouse us, call us back, set us on fire and seize us.
Stir us up and grow sweet to us. Let us love You, let us run to You.”
(all the Augustine quotes come from his marvelous Confessions – well worth getting a copy!)
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
1. South Africa – The number of confirmed cases is 34,357, with 705 deaths of those with Covid-19. ‘Experts’ predict that the number of deaths and cases is due to accelerate in the next few months – based on modelling. The trouble with modelling is that in most cases in the world, it has proven to be wrong!
2. Victoria –now has had 1,653 cases (up 50 from a week ago), with 19 deaths (up 0). Victoria is the last state in Australia where there is any community transmission. In Australia there have been 7,204 cases (up 8). There have been 103 deaths (up 0). 6,619 people have recovered (up 5). 20 are in hospital (3 in ICU). 1,472,220 people have been tested, with 0.5% being positive.
3. Continue to remember the horrendous situation in the US. With 40 million people having lost their jobs, 100,000 their lives… tensions are high. The murder of George Floyd has ignited this powder keg. May the Lord bring peace.
4. Russia has approved a drug called Avifavir – a modification of an anti-flu drug, which so far has been shown to reduce to the recovery time for Covid by 50%.
5. For the Connect20 conference as it brings together Christian media and leaders from all over Australia and New Zealand.
A Prayer of Repentance:
We are too often cold, sleepy, bitter, slow.
By the fire of Your love, warm us, wake us, sweeten us and enable us to run to You.
In Your name, Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
Praise be to the LORD, for He has heard my cry for mercy.
The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him.
The LORD is the strength of His people,
a fortress of salvation for His anointed one.
Save Your people and bless Your inheritance;
be their Shepherd and carry them forever.