Prayers from Psalms
1 Answer me when I call to You, my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress; have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
2 How long will you people turn My glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?
3 Know that the LORD has set apart His faithful servant for Himself;
the LORD hears when I call to him.
~ Psalm 4
This is another beautiful prayer (please read the whole psalm). We ask God to deliver us, and He responds by asking us why we have turned His glory into shame and sought false idols. We call to Him and He calls us to be faithful. The Lord is not saying that He only answers the prayers of perfect people! But He is saying that genuine prayer comes from a person who is genuinely seeking the glory of God. May He grant that would be our heart.
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Italy – The number of confirmed cases is 217,185, with 30,021 deaths of those with Covid-19.
However, as Italy has not recorded the number of care home deaths and home deaths, it is likely to be much higher. The lockdown has begun to be eased, but the north of the country remains in a perilous state.
- Victoria – now has had 1,468 cases (up 107 from a week ago), with 18 deaths (up 0). Victoria is now the state which registers the most new cases every day (13 yesterday).
Australia now has registered 6,914 cases (up 18 in a day). There have been 97 deaths (up 0).
6,079 people have recovered (up 44). 56 are in hospital (21 in ICU). 757,250 people have been tested, with 0.9% being positive.
- Farmers, farm workers and all those involved on the land.
That they would be kept safe and that there would be enough workers to bring in harvests.
- Vaccine – Oxford scientists say they hope that by June they will have a trial vaccine ready and that by September they will have a million doses. They are currently in phase two trials.
- For preachers and pastors who are suffering from ‘Zoom’ fatigue.
That they would have a renewed refreshing and encouragement from the Holy Spirit.
A Prayer of Repentance:
Almighty and Everlasting God, we confess that we have turned Your glory into shame,
Your beauty into ugliness and Your gifts into a licence for sin.
Have mercy upon us and turn us yet again to You.
May Your beauty and glory be upon us. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
God, who as at this time did teach the hearts of Your faithful people,
by sending to them the light of the Holy Spirit;
Grant us by the same Spirit to have a right judgement in all things,
and evermore to rejoice in His holy comfort;
through the merits of Jesus Christ our Saviour,
Who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the same Spirit,
one God, world without end. Amen.
(from the Book of Common Prayer)
Daily devotions by David Robertson via Christians United — COVID19 Call to Prayer.
[Photo by Alabaster Co